
Who: Professor Darren Crowdy from Imperial College in London.
What: A math problem that had stumped many scientists for over 140 years has finally been solved. It is a theoretical tool used by mathematicians, engineers and scientists to translate information from difficult shapes to a simpler circular shape so that it is easier to analyze.
Where: This is probably taking place in London.
When: March 4th, 2008. (I’m guessing when this was posted)
Why: To help mathematicians analyze maps easily and more efficiently.
How: The formula that had tried to be used in the mid 19 century was called the Schwarz-Christoffel formula. This formula had many problems in it and it didn’t work for shapes that had any holes or irregularities. So, professor Crowdy made some adjustments and found a solution!
My Opinion: I think that this is very cool that after 140 years, a professor was able to figure out the problem to the formula. Many people will have the brains to figure it out, but not the determination. I know that I would get very frustrated if I ever tried to succeed with this, but I’m glad that someone did succeed. He overcame the obstacles and was able to conclude the formula. He himself and many other are probably very proud and excited, and they were probably very supported towards this goal!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/5/6/4/5642283266f4826d20eb86a94cc10a0b.png
No comments:
Post a Comment