Leave it to Beaver was a very popular late 1950- early 1960 television show that is currently aired on TV Land. When this show was first aired, I am sure that many people were very excited about it. I believe that they may have reacted the same way that people recently reacted when a beaver was spotted in New York City for the first time in over 200 years. A beaver was spotted swimming up the Bronx River on Wednesday, the 23rd of February. A biologist videotaped the beaver and his twig-and-mud lodge in the river. A beaver suddenly spotted after 200 years, is again spotted. Why is this? "It had to happen because beaver populations are expanding, and their habitats are shrinking," explained Dietland Muller-Schwarze, a beaver expert at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry in Syracuse. He also said that New York City will probably be seeing more of these around in the near future. The beaver that they had spotted appeared to be a male, several feet long, and 2 or 3 years old. This was said by Patrick Thomas, from the near by Bronx Zoo. The animal, the beaver, was also put on the NY seal. But, they have not been spotted in New York since the 1800's. The beaver was on the seal to represent the Dutch Trading Company’s that factored the city’s colonial beginnings. Believe it or not, scientists have also given a nickname to this beaver. In honor of the US Representative, Jose Serrano, who helped revive the river, the beaver was named "Jose." This relates to science because the beaver has not lived in such an environment for over 200 years. This could be from people polluting their land, and they had to find some where to go. I’m guessing New York City was the only place that the beavers had felt comfortable in. I do agree with Dietland Muller-Schwarze that more beavers will come because beavers usually live in packs or families. They all chip in to make sure that everyone is getting what they need to survive. I think beavers have the right to live there, and they should never be kicked out or pushed away. I hope that no one in NYC will push them away from where they like it. How would you feel if you were kicked out of your home so others could get what they want? I’m just guessing not very good. Now, agree with me on this, and hope that beavers are safe in New York City!
I used http://msnbc.com/
ARTICLE TITLE: First Beaver Spotted in NYC in 200 Years
Link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17297004/
Picture:http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/education/beaver.gif
Monday, February 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment